Monday, June 22, 2009

Tom...

For those of you who don't know me, I am a racing Corner Marshal. When things go really bad at a race track we are the ones who you see running across the race track while cars are still going real fast. No not NASCAR. Road Racing. We are the ones that go to the accident help the drivers and clean up any mess that they have left on our track. Sometimes that means standing in the middle of a race track while cars go by you on ether side at well over 100 mph. Sometimes closer to 200.

Because the driver depend on us for help, BTW we also show the flags that let the drivers know whats going on around the track, drivers and marshals can get very close. The racing family in general are a very tight group.

Well today I found out that a driver that I have known for a few years was killed Saturday morning in a racing accident at Road America. I can't remember the first time I met Tom Thrash. I'm sure it was when we were pulling him from a gravel trap or his car had a problem and pulled off rack at my station. But over the last few years I had run into Tom in the paddock or at my station a few more times. He always had time to say Hi or thanks for all the hard work. (we stand out there for hours in the hottest of summers and the coldest of winters for free)

Tom, if I drank I would have a tall one for you. You were truly a gentleman driver in every since of the word. Here's to you Tom. You will be morned by many and missed by many more...

RIP...

Because life is so fragile here is a few messages for you.

To K:
I will love you for all times. Even if you can't love me...

To B: (my son)
I will also love you for all times. You will always be my heart...

To All the readers of this post.
I love you all. Through all the pain. You guy's have never gave up on me. You have helped me more that you will ever know. Thank You All...

K, you are my Heart, my Soul, my Life, and my Love,
But most of all you are my friend...

Tony

3 comments:

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Funny, in the ironic sense... as I read these words of your friend passing on, there is a requiem playing on the local classical station...

Slainte! to Tom...

And for those of you who risk all-- especially 'behind the scenes'-- in the name of entertainment for the rest of us...
HERE HERE!!!

Slainte to you, too, Tony...

Piratedred said...

K got me out there. We were a team on the corners until the birth of E.G.. After he was born she gave up so much so that could continue to do the things I loved to do. I always missed having her there with me out there as cars flew by. I never told her that I missed her.

Tom was from the Houston TX. area so I will be unable to say goodbye with the many other friends that will be there. We as a family tied together by the speed and danger will say goodbye and next week be right back out there waiting for the next one...

Here's to you Cygnus,

Tony...

Catherine Vibert said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend Tony. :-(